Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Right now

Right now... (an occasional meme, alternating from time to time with "The Current"): 

Reading:  Mostly online articles via Facebook & Bloglovin re: the new administration in the U.S.

Enjoying the new Oscars preview issue from Entertainment Weekly, my favourite magazine. When I was working downtown, Thursday was the day that new magazines would arrive at the downstairs newsstand, and I would buy a copy to enjoy on the train home later that afternoon. Since I stopped working, however, I've been finding it harder to find copies, nevermind in a timely way. I finally decided to subscribe (which is actually much cheaper than buying individual copies at the store). I now look forward to getting my copy in my mailbox every Tuesday or Wednesday. :) 

Still only partway through "Mr. Churchill's Secretary" by Susan Elia MacNeil, a mystery set during WWII Britain.

And, of course, the to-read pile continues to grow (insert red-faced icon here). One recent purchase: "Dark Money: The Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Rise of the Radical Right" by Jane Mayer (seemed timely...!). 

I've also retrieved "The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon" by David Grann from my gargantuan backlog of unread books. Moving it up in the pile, as I understand there's a movie adaptation coming out this spring. :)

Watching:  CNN, ad nauseum, for the last few weeks. It's like a train wreck;  it's hard to look away, even though it makes you feel ill sometimes. :(  And it's exhausting, even from north of the border. :( 

On a happier note: I've been enjoying "Victoria" on PBS. Although last week's episode, where Prince Albert produces a knife and slashes his shirt in front of Victoria not just once but TWICE, was a little ludicrous at times, lol. 

Listening:  For any drip-drip-drip sounds in the front hall closet (or anywhere else in the condo, for that matter)(do you blame me??). So far, all has been silent, and hopefully it will remain that way (knocking wood!!). 

Feeling: My chair shaking from the heavy equipment at work on the townhouse construction site behind us (which started bright & early at 7 a.m.!). With these not-so-good vibrations, I sometimes wonder if it was such a fluke that a pipe sprang a leak...!

Drinking:  Can't do without a cup of tea, first thing in the morning and later in afternoon. :)  (Especially at this time of year.) Sugar & lots of milk, please. ;)      

Eating:  A lot of soup for lunch. Comfort food!   

Wearing:  Long-sleeved waffle-weave T-shirt from Old Navy and Hyba yoga pants from Reitmans.

Smelling:  Some new essential oil blends that I bought for our diffuser recently at Saje, including Citrus Dream, House Warming and Refresh. It is fun trying different ones, although you can't always tell how they're going to smell just by sniffing the bottle.

Visiting:  SIL, most days right now, as she recuperates from surgery. Taking her lunch & treats from Starbucks, keeping her company and seeing if we can help in any way.

Figuring out: Twitter. :p  Dh is an addict. ;)  I don't think I'll be tweeting anything myself anytime soon ;)  but adding a few people & sites to follow here & there. Why I need another social media app on top of Facebook, Instagram & Bloglovin, I don't know, but we'll see...

Despairing: Whether we'll ever see the sun again. :p  (Although today is sunnier than it has been -- thank goodness!!)  The media has been reporting that this was the darkest and gloomiest January in years, with less than half the amount of regular hours of sunshine, and I believe it. :p  I grew up on the Prairies where (as I often tell people here who like to tease me about the extreme weather there) it may be -30C, but the sky will be blue and the sun will be shining, so I find this all more than little depressing. :(   (And of course, the news doesn't help either...!)

2 comments:

  1. I love this series of yours. It always inspires me to copy you.

    My Pocket app informed me this morning that in the time I spend reading on social media, I could read 200 books a year. I find that a little hard to believe, but yes, like you, most of my reading lately has been on news articles. I'm on Twitter, but I never open it, so I may as well not be.

    Yum soup.
    And hope SIL is recovering well, and not doing too much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I'm not the only one who thought "Why is Albert cutting his shirt open?"

    ReplyDelete